*This programme profile is financed by Dora Plus Action 4: Marketing of study and employment opportunities in Estonia (European Regional Development Fund).
Asia and the Middle East are two of the most fascinating and rapidly developing regions of the world, creating challenges and offering opportunities for the 21st century. By 2050:
- close to 60% of the world’s consumers will live in the region;
- China will be a real superpower;
- Hindi, Urdu, and Arabic will dominate much of the world business;
- Islam will change and diversify due to its contact with modernity
- and global migration will continue to pressure Europe and the Middle East.
The Contemporary Asian and Middle Eastern Studies programme provides a comprehensive curriculum in Asian and Middle Eastern economies, politics, cultures, societies and languages (e.g. Japanese, Chinese, Korean), opportunities to study different languages (e.g. Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Arabic) and a multinational study environment.
Why study Contemporary Asian and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Tartu ?
- The University of Tartu belongs to the top 250 of the world's best universities (THE World University Rankings 2023).
- The University of Tartu is ranked in the top 220 universities in the world in politics (QS Subject Rankings 2022).
- The university has a long tradition in oriental, cultural and religious studies.
- It is home to many professors and researchers specialising in modern-day Asian and Middle Eastern cultures, socio-economic trends and political regimes.
- The programme offers multiple opportunities to do your fieldwork in East Asia and the Middle East.
- After graduation, you can work with refugees, start a diplomatic career, provide area-specific expertise to new businesses or create your own NGO.
Our graduates have the skills and know-how to work with refugees at the UNHCR or become diplomats, provide area-specific expertise to new businesses or create their own NGO. You can engage with a vast range of topics from international relations and business to demographic trends and human rights management.
Whatever you choose, you can be sure that the need for experts in Asian and Middle Eastern studies is increasing both in the public and private sectors. We will do our very best to support your progress and future employment.
Every seven years, all Estonian higher education institutions must undergo external evaluation – institutional accreditation. The latest assessment took place in 2022. The assessment council of the Estonian Quality Agency for Education decided to accredit the University of Tartu for the next seven years (2023-2029).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The programme consists of:
- Mandatory module (39 ECTS, including internship 6 ECTS)
- Elective course module (24 ECTS, including entrepreneurship studies 6 ECTS)
- Language module (12 ECTS)
- Optional course module (6 ECTS)
- Master's thesis module (39 ECTS)
Example of courses:
- Asian and Middle Eastern Civilizations
- Mindsets in Modern Day Asia and the Middle East
- Introduction to Glocalization Studies
- Cultural and Religious Roots of the Middle East
- Political Development in East and Southeast Asia
- Multilevel Governance in East Asia
- Asia and Pacific Business
We welcome all students regardless of their previous educational background.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Relations Political Science View 3 other Masters in Political Science in Estonia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Tartu and/or in Estonia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification (must be obtained by the end of July)
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3800 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA3800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3800 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tartu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Tuition waivers are not available.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.