The programme is dedicated to targeting needs and delivering specialists in a short time, with the necessary qualifications. It aims to attract talented and ambitious young and mid-career sanitation professionals, working in water supply and sewerage companies, municipal assemblies, government ministries, NGOs and consulting firms. Ideally these individuals are dealing with urban and peri-urban sanitation, especially in informal settlements.
While being at Master in Sanitation at IHE Delft Institute for Water Education has a professional orientation. It is demand-driven, delivering graduates with the qualifications required by the sanitation sector. These areas will be prominent in the programme:
- the linking of the taught subject matter, not only to research outcomes, but also to sanitation practice;
- the nature of the individual research topics of the students;
- the embedding of the development of generic professional skills in the programme.
As a result, graduates will possess both the fundamental understanding, as well as the knowledge and skills necessary, to create professional impact ‘on the ground’. They will be able to apply existing knowledge and theory in practice and to contribute to the further development of knowledge in sanitation, and conduct practice-orientated field research, independently or in a multidisciplinary team.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Sanitation Systems and Services
- Sanitation and Public Health
- Analysis of Sanitation Flows
- Leadership and Collaboration for Sanitation Change
- Sanitation Technology
- Sanitation Governance
- Sanitation Financing
- Behaviour Change and Advocacy
- Emergency Sanitation
- Project Management (for Sanitation)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Toxicology Environmental Economics & Policy View 20 other Masters in Environmental Economics & Policy in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A relevant motivation. You need to use the following template for your motivation statement.
- A bachelor degree at level B/B+ (US system) or 2nd upper (British system) in an appropriate field. Exceptions can be made if a candidate is below this level, but has a substantial experience in the field of sanitation and/or has a strong motivation to join the programme.
- A good command of the English language, if this is not the first language. All non-native English-speaking applicants must satisfy the English language requirements for IHE Delft's educational programmes.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14910 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14910 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA14910 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14910 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
The total cost of the programme including tuition fee, student subsistence, accommodation cost and cost of air ticket is estimated at 30,000 EUR.
Living costs for Delft
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.