The History - Global History and International Studies MA programme offered at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam combining approaches from history and the social sciences.
The History department of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam has a long tradition in teaching and researching global relations and international history. Special areas of attention are economic, colonial and postcolonial relations between Western countries and the postcolonial world – including Africa and Southeast Asia.
Entering the job market
Your analytical, reading and reporting skills offer ample opportunities. Among other areas students that took our programme hold jobs in government institutions, business or international organizations, including NGOs. In addition, after a further specialised year of master’s courses, you could find a position in teaching or research.
- From Source to Public: The Historian's Flowchart
- Key Works in Contemporary Historical Thought
- History and Theory
- Slavery, Abolition and Compensation in the Dutch Colonies in the West and in the East
- History of Natural Disasters
- Specialisation Tutorial Master History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
The next VU Online Master's Event will take place on Saturday 5 March.
DisciplinesHistory International Relations Modern History View 20 other Masters in Modern History in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission is based on a strict selection procedure. The Faculty’s Admission Board will decide upon your admission after having evaluated your complete online application.
- To qualify for the Master’s programme, you must have a Bachelor's degree from an officially recognised research university, including a minimum of three years of full-time academic studies with at least 180 ECTS or the equivalent.
- The Master’s programme in History is for students with an academic Bachelor’s degree in History. You may also qualify if you have an academic Bachelor’s degree in another discipline of the Humanities (e.g. Theology, Philosophy) or in Anthropology or Sociology, if you have a major or specialisation equal to a minimum of 30 ECTS in History courses.
International16830 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16830 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.