The MA English - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Program at Winona State University cultivates an advanced-level understanding of the theories and practices of teaching English as a Second Language to a wide variety of audiences and to prepare students for further graduate study in linguistics.
Applicants must have an undergraduate degree completed by the time of graduate enrollment, and the undergraduate degree should correlate to the course of study that the applicant wishes to pursue at the graduate level. In some cases, students accepted into the English Graduate Program may be required to take equivalency courses in certain subjects not covered by their undergraduate coursework. Strong application materials, as well as a minimum 3.00 GPA overall, figured on a basis of 4.0, and a minimum 3.25 GPA in undergraduate English courses.
The mission of the graduate program is to provide rigorous, advanced-level programs and courses in pedagogy and in literary studies, composition and rhetoric, and language to prepare students for continued graduate study.
- Theories of Second Language Acquisition
- Theory and Methods
- Second Language Composition Studies
- Pedagogical Grammar
- Materials, Resources, and Assessment
- Research Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching English View 185 other Masters in Teaching English in United States
- All applicants must, in addition, send a statement of purpose, a writing sample, and three letters of recommendation to the Director of Graduate Studies in English (3rd Floor, Minné Hall, Winona State University, Winona, MN 55987) by the March 1 receipt deadline.
- A statement of purpose: A one to two-page essay addressing topics such as why the applicant would like to pursue graduate studies in English, why the applicant believes he or she will succeed in conducting advanced work in this field, and how the applicant envisions the shape that his or her studies and endeavors will take within our program.
- A writing sample: Treating a subject related to literature or language study, a substantial analytical paper at least five pages, with multiple sources written for an upper-level English, linguistics, or related course.
International19380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 646 USD per credit during 12 months.
National19380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 646 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State12840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 428 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Winona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.