The basic mission of the Master of Reading Program is to develop professionals who can provide leadership support to schools and districts, particularly in the multicultural context of Guam and Micronesia in the areas of the respective specializations. The programs will develop professionals who have competency to lead and teach in the elementary and secondary level schools involving students in a multicultural and multilingual environment. Where appropriate, the M.Ed. candidates will meet certification standards in Guam and Micronesia. The professional is also prepared to goon for advanced study or to complete training at the doctoral level.
The Master of Education degree includes specialization areas in Administration and Supervision, Secondary Education, Reading, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), and Special Education. The M.Ed. degree is designed for certified teachers seeking advanced knowledge of teaching and learning in a specific area. Students seeking teacher certification should obtain a Guam Commission on Educator Certification (GCEC) teacher certification evaluation before developing a program of study. Students completing the Administration and Supervision degree will be able to apply for certification in that field from the GCEC.
University of Guam online program allows you to learn from the comfort of your own home or nearby school or library at a time that is convenient for you. We believe students will find the program both engaging and meaningful. This specialization is designed to prepare professionals in the field of reading/literacy who are interested in becoming highly effective teachers and specialists in reading and language arts. A thesis or special project is recommended for students who anticipate further study at the doctoral level. Reading faculty will conduct an admissions interview as an entry-level assessment for new applicants.
This specialization is designed to prepare professionals for the following roles:
- To develop students’ literacy (reading and writing) in language arts and across the curriculum, with an emphasis on pre-school, elementary and secondary years.
- To assess and instruct students with diverse literacy needs in regular classrooms, as well as specialized settings (developmental or basic classes, ESL classes, special education classes, adult literacy centers, etc.).
- To participate as a member of a professional learning community, reflecting on practice and contributing to the improvement of instructional programs, advancement of knowledge and practice of colleagues.
Graduates find diverse professional positions, with the majority serving in schools as classroom teachers, reading/language arts resource teachers, special education teachers, and school consultants. Some become diagnosticians and reading specialists in clinical settings or private practice, and some go on to doctoral study.
In addition to course work that integrates theory and practice, students will diagnose and instruct individuals who have reading and writing problems.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Qualitative Inquiry in Education, or
- Quantitative Analysis
- The Art and Craft of Teaching Writing
- Language and Literacy Development
- Middle/Secondary Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- Seminar in Literature for Children and Young Adults
- Practicum: Literacy Assessment
- Practicum: Literacy Instructional Lab
- Advanced Methods in PK-12 School Literacy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Submit transcripts
- Demonstrate English proficiency
- Submit immunization records
- Submit copy of current passport and visa
- Make adequate financial arrangements for the desired period of enrollment
- Provide proof of medical insurance coverage
- Arrange housing
- Meet with designated official
- Take placement tests
International10260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10260 USD per year during 12 months.
National5130 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5130 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.