The two-year, part-time MA study programme in Oral History and Contemporary History is intended for students interested in contemporary European history, interviewing methodologies, and interpretative methods. Its main aim is to train students to conduct research through creating and analysing interviews and fieldwork projects to address those issues that require interdisciplinary investigation.
The programme is focused on the study of history and its methodologies; it is also meant to provide its students with overarching knowledge of Czech, Czechoslovak, and world history. The programme offers an overview of various methodological approaches – besides the oral history tradition - which it compares and reflects critically. These include, among others: archival research; statistical research (e.g. information of demographic/economic nature, public opinion polls); pop culture research (e.g. films, radio broadcast recordings; etc.); research of media and literature; etc. The programme also provides an interdisciplinary view of history from the perspectives of political theory and international relations; political philosophy; economic and social history; or cultural history; and others.
Profile of a graduate:
Graduates of the MA program in Oral History and Contemporary History can use their knowledge and experience in a wide spectrum of professional fields which rely on understanding and taking part in interpersonal communication, especially within the context of Czech, Czechoslovak, and world history.
The graduates are able to find employment in academia as researchers in the fields of oral history, contemporary history, qualitative research, memory studies, and similar disciplines. Thanks to their acquired skills and knowledge, they are fully competent to fulfil the roles of archivists, museologists, lecturers, methodologists, or coordinators in a variety of environments, profit, and non-profit alike.
- If you are interested in this MA programme and would like to learn more about it, the Oral History and Contemporary History department is offering individual videoconsultations for applicants and prospective students. If interested, contact email@example.com or Jana.Markupova@fhs.cuni.cz directly!
The MA programme in Oral History and Contemporary History is officially recognized and accredited by the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- World Contemporary History¨
- Czech Contemporary History
- Analysis and Interpretation of Narrative Sources
- Historiography and Methodology in Historical Science
- Oral History and the Methodology of Research in Contemporary History
- Perestroika and Its Enforcement in So-Called Eastern Bloc Countries
- Folk Music during So-Called Czechoslovak Normalization Period
- Crossroads of Contemporary Military and Oral History
- Large and Small History in the Havel Family
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications open on November 1st, 2020.
DisciplinesHistory Liberal Arts Modern History View 4 other Masters in Liberal Arts in Czech Republic
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Submit a motivation letter, structured CV (curriculum vitae) and an academic paper in English before the application deadline.
- The paper should be no less than 15 pages in length and prove your knowledge, skills and talent for study in the program for which you are applying.
- Submit a notarized copy of your Bachelor's diploma.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.