The two-year, part-time MA Study Program in Oral History and Contemporary History is intended for students interested in contemporary European history, interviewing methodologies and interpretative methods. Its main aim is to train students to conduct research through creating and analyzing interviews and fieldwork projects to address those issues that require interdisciplinary investigation.
The MA program is divided into two sections, the first covers contemporary (Czech and international) history and events, the second is methodological and focuses on various interviewing techniques through which we can study contemporary history. It binds together two general approaches of studying history, the macro, and micro approaches, and enables a thorough understanding of recent events in history. The MA program is centered around the connection between both individual and collective aspects of contemporary history and historical events.
Profile of a graduate:
Graduates of the MA program in Oral History and Contemporary History can use their knowledge and experience in a wide spectrum of professional fields which rely on understanding and taking part in interpersonal communication, especially within the context of Czech, Czechoslovak, and world history.
The graduates are able to find employment in academia as researchers in the fields of oral history, contemporary history, qualitative research, memory studies, and similar disciplines. Thanks to their acquired skills and knowledge, they are fully competent to fulfill the roles of archivists, museologists, lecturers, methodologists, or coordinators in a variety of environments, profit and non-profit alike.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Analysis and Interpretation of Narrative Sources
- Contemporary History: An Interdisciplinary Perspective
- Historiography and Methodology in Historical Science
- Oral History and the Methodology of Research in Contemporary History
- Islands of Freedom - The 1980s Young Generation
- Exile, Emigration and Reemigration in the 20th Century: The Czech Historical Perspective
- Ideology, Power, Society and Top Sport in Socialist Regimes
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Applications are accepted with a final deadline of July 31
- Priority deadline: March 31
DisciplinesHistory Liberal Arts Modern History
- Submit a motivation letter, structured CV (curriculum vitae) and an academic paper in English before the application deadline.
- The paper should be no less than 15 pages in length and prove your knowledge, skills and talent for study in the program for which you are applying.
- Submit a notarized copy of your Bachelor's diploma.
International2000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.