The Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) programme offered by the University of Birmingham is aimed at individuals with knowledge and understanding of current debates relevant to the teaching and learning of English as a Foreign Language. You will be supported in becoming a reflective TEFL practitioner, a competent educational researcher and an active member of the international academic and professional TEFL community.
Our graduates typically find work as EFL teachers in schools and universities in countries around the world, return to their English teaching jobs in their home countries, are promoted to more senior roles within their teaching contexts, or pursue a research qualification (usually a PhD degree).
Graduates from the MA Education TEFL are consistently successful in winning prestigious PhD scholarships and awards and present their MA TEFL work at international conferences and in publications.
- Curriculum Design in Global Contexts
- Citizenship, Human Rights and the Environment
- Personal and Professional Skills for Education Management
- Leadership for School Improvement
- Education as an International Issue
- Curriculum and Approaches for Pupils with Autism
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Languages Teaching View 829 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 or equivalent undergraduate degree in a related discipline (English language, linguistics, language teaching, education, TESOL/TEFL, Translation) is normally required.
- However, applications from candidates with a 2:2 will also be considered on an individual basis. Prior teaching-related work experience will also be taken into account for applicants with a 2:2.
- A clearly demonstrated interest in TEFL is important and whilst some teaching experience is an advantage, it is not an essential requirement.
International17910 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17910 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- PGCert full-time £3,083
- PGDip full-time £6,167
- MA part-time £3,083
- PGCert full-time £5,970
- PGDip full-time £11,940
- MA part-time £5,970
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.