The goals, objectives and learning outcomes of WCSU’s MSED in Literacy and Language Arts Program are varied and are critical to facilitate the development of reading specialists, literacy coaches, and professional leaders. The program is designed to prepare K-12 educators to:
- Graduates of the program will use their knowledge of cognitive, linguistic, motivation, and socio-cultural foundations of literacy to sustain and connect classroom communities;
- Synthesize and apply major theories and empirical research that describe the cognitive, linguistic, motivation, and socio-cultural foundations of reading and writing development, processes, and components as indicated by the design of an action research project in literacy.
- Graduates of the program will demonstrate the ability to plan, develop, and adjust services that meet the needs of diverse learners;
- Expand his or her professional knowledge base regarding the education and development of exceptional, gifted, talented, and disabled students as indicated by case studies of struggling readers and writers.
- Accurately assess and analyze student learning, reflecting on adjustments needed for both instruction and assessment as indicated by the measuring student learning project.
- Graduates of the program will demonstrate the ability to use relevant pedagogical skills and educational psychology knowledge in the planning, development, delivery and assessment of professional services in support of relevant educational goals
- Development of Reading in the Elementary Schools
- Content Area Literacy: Development of Reading in the Secondary School
- Language Development
- Sociolinguistics and Literacy Learning
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation View 3666 other Masters in Education in United States
- Application for admission to the Office of Graduate Admissions and a $50 application fee: Online application
- One official transcript mailed (not hand-delivered) to the Office of Graduate Admissions from each college or university previously attended, including all earned grades and degree.
- A copy of a valid teaching certificate in elementary and/or secondary education
- Evidence of successful completion of any required prerequisite courses for a particular concentration
- Evidence of an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
International12273 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12273 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National6102 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6102 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.