Public Administration (Degree Apprenticeship) Master’s degree from University of Portsmouth is work-based, and you'll typically spend about 20% of your working week studying. You'll need to do some additional studying outside of work time. The Government or your employer pay your tuition fees – so it doesn’t cost you anything.
In this Public Administration (Degree Apprenticeship) programme from the University of Portsmouth develop your strategic leadership and management capabilities and get the knowledge you need to take on ambitious new roles. You'll cover public policy, service and administration from inter-cultural, inter-professional and inter-organisational perspectives.
You'll also study specialist areas relating to public administration, such as the legal system and corporate governance, and learn transferable skills that will be valuable throughout your career. You’ll have many opportunities to put what you learn into practice, as you’ll be completing the course alongside your job.
When you finish the course, you'll have the confidence to take on more challenging leadership roles in the future and become more effective in your existing role.
What you’ll experience
- Critically examine how public policies are made and implemented
- Gain specialist knowledge in fields that match your career aspirations
- Learn how to solve complex issues with a creative approach
- Boost your ability to lead and manage strategically
- Cover topics such as citizenship, the legal system and corporate governance
- Compare policy processes and outputs in specific fields, including health, education, welfare, economic development, defence, policing and European integration
- Examine public policies, management systems and administrative systems from an international perspective
- Assess the effectiveness of public organisations
- Complete a personal project on a topic of your choice
- Get a learning manager from the University and a workplace mentor
- Access our Library resources, including electronic resources which you can accessed from anywhere with a web connection
- Have access to the University's student support services and community including study support and the Students’ Union
- Receive feedback from and take part in discussions with lecturers and other students
Work experience and career planning
You can put the skills you’ll learn on this course to use wherever your public administration career takes you.
Previous Portsmouth Public Administration students have gone on to take up senior roles in local and central governments, and with United Nations and other non-governmental organisations.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Teaching and programme assessment
If you do this course via the campus-based route, you'll study alongside public sector professionals from around the world, giving you the chance to learn from both our qualified academic staff and experienced practitioners. As part of the course, you'll also attend talks by speakers from a variety of public bodies.
You'll also get an induction, master classes, and specialist talks on campus. We’ll support you through online tutorials, in person, on the phone or over Skype throughout the course.
You’ll be assessed through:
- briefing documents
- analytical reports
- research-based projects
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureAreas of study include:
- the legal system
- social and technological change
- corporate governance
- the role of public sector organisations in economic development and regeneration
- the marketisation of service delivery
- citizenship issues in public organisations
- the concepts, processes and institutions in the management of resources and operations
- financial management, accountability and reporting
- management and development of people within organisations
- human resource management and development
- change management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- 30 April for applications from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Ghana, India, Iran, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan and Somalia.
- 30 June for applicants from the Rest of the World.
DisciplinesPublic Administration Public Law Public Policy View 12 other Masters in Public Administration in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum of a second-class honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. A strong profile of relevant professional experience and/or training and demonstration of academic ability to achieve at postgraduate level, will be considered.
- All applicants to the Degree Apprenticeship courses must have an acceptable Level 2 qualification in English and Mathematics. Acceptable qualifications include GCSE with grade C/4 or above and Functional Skills with Pass - please note that we are not able to accept all kinds of Level 2 qualifications, so if you are unsure whether you have a suitable qualification please get in touch. If you do not have an acceptable qualification you may be required to take an additional assessment during the application process.
- Applicants may be subject to interview.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
National7000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
The course fee is shared between the Government and some employers, meaning no cost to you as the degree apprentice. Total tuition fees are £14,000 paid over 2 years.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Public Administration (Degree Apprenticeship).
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.