The plan of study and research at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology is suited to each individual, drawing upon the strengths of the student, taking advantage of program capabilities, and complementing research activities within and outside New Mexico. A thesis or independent study project is required to complete the degree. General requirements common to all Master of Science degree curricula also apply.
Graduate Program Objectives
- To graduate students who are in demand by employers and doctoral programs and who lead fulfilling professional careers through their ability to:
- Assess environmental issues associated with air, land, and water systems and their accompanying human health and ecological impacts.
- Synthesize technical knowledge of engineering analysis and design to identify, formulate, and solve problems of professional interest and importance.
- Demonstrate the technical and communication skills needed to be successful in their professional practice.
Graduates of the Environmental Engineering MS Program will be able to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex environmental engineering problems in water and wastewater, air pollution, solid and hazardous waste, and related areas by selecting and applying appropriate tools and techniques.
- Specify or design unit processes or systems associated with traditional areas of environmental engineering.
- Synthesize advanced technical knowledge in a traditional or emerging specialization area of environmental engineering.
Programme StructureMS in Environmental Engineering with Thesis Option
- A total of 30 credit hours are required for an MS in Environmental Engineering, which must include a minimum of 18 credit hours of Environmental Engineering coursework, and 6 credit hours of ENVE 591 (thesis). All students must take a minimum of 12 credit hours of 500‐level Environmental Engineering courses.
MS in Environmental Engineering with Independent Study Option
- A student may petition the department with the approval of the Department Chair to pursue a Master of Science degree with an independent study option.
- Candidates for the non‐thesis Master of Science option must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours, of which 3 credit hours must be independent study (ENVE 590). All students must take a minimum of 12 credit hours of 500‐level Environmental Engineering courses, and an additional 6 credits of 400‐ or 500‐ level Environmental Engineering courses (18 credits total).
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
We accept and review applications throughout the year.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 1823 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
The following are required for graduate applications:
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Unofficial GRE scores
- Unofficial TOEFL or IELTS scores for international students whose first language is not English. English Language Requirements
- Recommendations letters (three)
- Statement of Purpose
International25686 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25686 USD per year during 24 months.
National25686 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25686 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State8738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8738 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Socorro
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.