The program’s applied focus nurtures a culture of engagement, providing students with hands-on learning opportunities and helping students from a variety of academic disciplines apply their classroom knowledge to real-world situations. The increasing demand for readily available, consistent, accurate, complete, and current geographic information and the widespread availability and use of advanced geospatial technologies offer excellent career opportunities for our graduates. Indeed, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that overall employment demand for geospatial technologists will grow by a minimum of 20% over the next decade.
The Applied Geography program of the Georgia Southern University offers students a diverse array of field experiences including:
- Analyzing climate change impacts on barrier islands
- Utilizing geospatial data and methods to address urban and environmental issues
- Mapping and monitoring coastal habitats using remote sensing data
- Applying urban forestry to meet sustainable development goals
- Examining ecotourism, sustainability, and environmental change in Latin America
- Developing warning systems for hydrometeorologic hazards in the Dolomite Alps in Italy
The program, therefore, prepares students for professional opportunities in a multitude of fields including: regional and transportation planning, the geospatial-intelligence industry, market analysis, meteorology/climatology, natural and human-made hazards, public health, logistics, resource management, and sustainable development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Seminar in Geographic Thought
- Spatial Analysis
- Seminar in Geographic Research and Method
- Global Climate Change
- Cultural and Political Ecology
- GIS Applications in Social Science
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Ecology View 120 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in United States
- Must have completed requirements for the bachelors degree in a college accredited by the proper regional accrediting associations.
- Must complete the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (scores must be sent to the College of Graduate Studies).
- Must complete the TOEFL Exam with scores sent to the College of Graduate Studies (international students only).
- Must submit a statement of purpose explaining the reasons for pursuing a Master of Science in Applied Geography.
- Must submit three letters of recommendation.
- Typically, will have a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) for all undergraduate coursework.
International13260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6630 USD per semester during 12 months.
National13260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6630 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State3324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1662 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Statesboro
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.