The Secondary Education program of the Georgia Southern University is based upon the concept of developmentally appropriate practices and the value of diverse, intensive field experiences working with diverse student populations. You can read more about the program courses and purpose to find out if it’s the right secondary education program for you.
The program is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (PSC) and meets the PSC’s certificate upgrade requirements.
Program Mission & Outcomes
The mission of the MEd in Secondary Education is to engage certified teachers in intellectual inquiry that will inform their classroom practice. Throughout the program, students participate in research related to their abilities to address the needs of diverse learners, to implement high academic standards, to develop school and community partnerships, to effectively integrate technology into instruction and to apply research-based instructional strategies in the classroom. This focus on the relationship between theory, research and practice is closely aligned with the University’s mission to create a culture of engagement and extend learning beyond the classroom.
- Learning Theories and Applications
- Foundations of Technology-Enabled Learning
- Educational Research
- Trends in the Content Areas
- Readings and Research in the Content Areas
- Early Adolescent Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Early Childhood Education Secondary Education View 991 other Masters in Education in United States
- Complete requirements for a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess or be eligible for a renewable Georgia level four teaching certificate; or possess an equivalent out-of-state certificate. The certificate must be in one of the following certification areas: biology, broad field science, chemistry, economics, English, geography, history, mathematics, physics, or political science.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
International9972 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 277 USD per credit during 12 months.
National9972 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 277 USD per credit during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.