On this Science course from the University of Portsmouth , you'll be supported by our tutors and school-based mentors as you learn to plan and deliver lessons with strong subject knowledge, confidence and imagination, while reflecting on what it means to teach. You can study full time over 1 year, or part time over 2.
Our teacher training programmes have been given an outstanding review from Ofsted and we've got excellent links with many schools in the region – so when you finish your course, you'll graduate with excellent career prospects, and eligibility for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) too.
What you’ll experience
The PGCE has three interconnected strands – Curriculum Studies, Professional Studies and School Experience – so the skills and knowledge you pick up can be practised and built on with teaching experience.
On this course, you'll:
- Develop your teaching skills through practical activity and the study of theories and contemporary issues in education
- Share your experience and learn from other students through lectures and seminars
- Learn key teaching skills, including lesson planning, classroom management, and special needs and inclusion
- Develop your subject-based knowledge
- Get work experience in a teaching placement, where you'll work closely with mentors and other school staff
- Study a range of topics including pedagogy and practice based research; lesson planning; behaviour management; assessment, and special education needs and inclusion
Work experience and career planning
Once you graduate, you'll be ready to start your teaching career. Over 90 per cent of Portsmouth PGCE graduates go into full-time teaching, and once you're an established teaching professional, you'll have opportunities for further career progression in roles including year head and subject leader.
Teaching and programme assessment
Teaching methods on this course include:
- work-based learning
- supervised teaching practice
- group participation
- guided reading
You can access all teaching resources on Moodle, our virtual learning environment, from anywhere with a Web connection.
The assessments that you'll complete on this course are designed to ensure that you meet the Standards for Qualifying to Teach.
In each term you'll be assessed through:
- The development of your teaching skills
- A formal assignment
- An interview in which you'll demonstrate the evidence collected towards the standards including your subject knowledge
Throughout the course, you'll also collate a portfolio of evidence based on schoolwork, observations of teaching, tasks and assignments.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Classroom practice in secondary teaching
- Reflective practice in secondary teaching
- The development of the professional secondary teacher
- The professional secondary teacher
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPhysics Chemistry Biology View 206 other Masters in Physics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject, ideally with approximately 50% Computer Science content or other relevant experience.
- GCSE Mathematics and English language at grade C (Grade 4) or above, or equivalent.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16200 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £4,625 per year
- International students: £8,100 per year
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.