On this 1-year Science course at University of Portsmouth , you'll be supported by our tutors and school-based mentors as you learn to plan and deliver lessons with strong subject knowledge, confidence and imagination, while reflecting on what it means to teach.
Our teacher training programmes have been given an outstanding review from Ofsted and we've got excellent links with many schools in the region – so when you finish your course, you'll graduate with excellent career prospects, and eligibility for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) too.
Careers and opportunities
Once you graduate, you'll be ready to start your teaching career. Over 90 per cent of Portsmouth PGCE graduates go into full-time teaching, and once you're an established teaching professional, you'll have opportunities for further career progression in roles including year head and subject leader.
Our PGCE degree course is an accredited qualification and once you graduate, you'll be eligible for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Core modules currently include:
- Classroom practice in secondary teaching
- Reflective practice in secondary teaching
- The development of the professional secondary teacher
- The professional secondary teacher
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPhysics Chemistry Biology View 163 other Masters in Physics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject, with approximately 50% science content. A minimum of 2:2 is desirable although applicants with other qualifications or valuable experience will also be considered.
- GCSE Mathematics and English language at grade C (Grade 4) or above, or equivalent.
- Applicants whose first language is not English, and who do not have GCSE English language at grade C (Grade 4) or above, require English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component less than 6.0.
- All shortlisted applicants are subject to interview.
- All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance and Occupational Health clearance.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.