On this 1-year course, you'll be supported by our tutors and school-based mentors as you learn to plan and deliver lessons with strong subject knowledge, confidence and imagination, while reflecting on what it means to teach.
Our teacher training programmes have been given an outstanding review from Ofsted and we've got excellent links with many schools in the region – so when you finish your course, you'll graduate with excellent career prospects, and eligibility for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) too.
In each term you'll be assessed through:
- The development of your teaching skills
- A formal assignment
- An interview in which you'll demonstrate the evidence collected towards the standards including your subject knowledge
Careers and opportunities
Once you graduate, you'll be ready to start your teaching career. Over 90 per cent of Portsmouth PGCE graduates go into full-time teaching, and once you're an established teaching professional, you'll have opportunities for further career progression in roles including year head and subject leader.
Our PGCE degree course is an accredited qualification and once you graduate, you'll be eligible for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Core modules currently include:
- Classroom practice in secondary teaching
- Reflective practice in secondary teaching
- The development of the professional secondary teacher
- The professional secondary teacher
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Languages View 872 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject, with a minimum of 50% content in an appropriate modern foreign language. Alternatively, native speakers require excellent communication skills in English.
- A second language to A level (or equivalent standard) in French, German or Spanish. Applicants offering only one foreign language are able to complete a short intensive Enhancement Course in French in order to achieve sufficient competence to teach a second language accurately and confidently at secondary level to at least Key Stage 3.
- GCSE Mathematics and English language at grade C (Grade 4) or above, or equivalent.
- All shortlisted applicants are subject to interview. All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance and Occupational Health clearance.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.