Art History provides advanced training in research and writing for students and specialists pursuing further academic study in art history or professional careers in museums and other art-related fields. It is important to understand that The University of Hong Kong's programme is not primarily a curatorial studies programme, nor does it focus on navigating the art market.
We do include training in a number of curatorial skills that are essential for work in museums and galleries, but these are just part of the larger academic curriculum, which emphasizes art historical research, theory, and writing.
- Students enroll and participate in six courses, three per semester, and explore various themes, time periods and subjects in art history.
- By the end of the programme they focus on a specific research topic and write an MA dissertation of 10,000 words, under the supervision of a recognized authority in the chosen field of inquiry.
- Art History: goals, methods, and writing
- Art history: materials, techniques, and collections
- Dissertation writing workshop
- Seminar in Chinese art
- Seminar in contemporary art
- Seminar in Art History research and writing
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Art History View 5 other Masters in Art History in Hong Kong (SAR)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of Hong Kong and/or in Hong Kong (SAR), please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- The application form (through the online portal)
- A statement of purpose (no more than 1,000 words)
- C.V. or resumé
- A copy of their university transcript(s)
- A copy of their university certificate(s) (if applicable)
- An academic or professional writing sample in English (no more than 5,000 words, including footnotes and bibliography)
- Two reference reports (by email)
- Original paper transcript(s) (if required, by mail)
- Original TOEFL or IELTS reports (if required, by mail)
International26770 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26770 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National26770 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26770 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.