The MFA is normally completed over three years and culminates in a project designed and carried out by the student with the support of faculty. While we don’t restrict applications, we prefer students with personal and artistic experiences that extend beyond an undergraduate degree in dance. The MFA is a terminal degree commonly held by studio teaching faculty at the university level.Our students work with faculty members who are active artists and scholars, and who mentor student engagement in the dance professions, as well as guiding their work in the department. We offer an exceptionally strong mentorship program in teaching, including the teaching of dance technique, choreography and performance, dance appreciation and history, and the theories and practices of dance teaching in public education. We prepare students for lifelong learning in dance, to integrate practice and critical investigation, and to engage in dance as a means of understanding and of enacting positive change in themselves and their communities.
- Choreographies and Choreographers
- Dance Studies I: Theories and Methods
- Dance Studies II: Research Projects
- Administration of Dance
- Movement for Dance
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
International applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application one month prior to the posted departmental deadline.
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 290 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or appropriately-evaluated credentials for non-U.S. schools.
- Satisfactory academic standing as an undergraduate or in a post-baccalaureate program: “B” (3.0 GPA) average or better.
- Approval of the academic department in which the graduate student will major. (Assumes an undergraduate major appropriate to the proposed graduate study.)
- Satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Examination
International21734 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21734 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National21734 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21734 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
In-State8016 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8016 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.