The programme covers urban regeneration issues, public realm design, urban design theory and practice and sustainable urbanism theory and applications in place-making with advanced technology and design tools. You will acquire the knowledge and develop the necessary skills to face the contemporary cultural, historical, social, economic and environmental challenges in terms of achieving holistic sustainability in those realms.
You will be encouraged to develop your problem-solving skills through creative urban design proposals. You will be provided with an understanding of the complex relationship between spatial and design issues, and social and economic urban crises. The course addresses urban design as a mode of research and practice that shapes urban environments and responds to urban issues.You will develop the mechanisms and design tools which when effectively implemented, can secure and deliver projects for the long-term benefit of a city and its people. The course emphasises the importance of design creativity, analytical skills, critical thinking and focuses on drawing and physical and computer modeling as tools for analysis, exploration, communication and design in order to achieve social, cultural and environmental sustainability.
- As part of its remit, the Department of Architecture and Built Environment aims to develop your vocational skills and the environmentally responsible attitude necessary in today's rapidly changing world
- The department enjoys strong collaborative links with professional organisations and international institutions to ensure global awareness and applicability across academia and practice
- The University’s former Institute of Urban Planning was one of the first institutes in the country to offer research and postgraduate qualifications in urban design
- The MArch Sustainable Urban Design course is suitable for architecture graduates as well as those from related disciplines such as landscape architecture, urban planning and environmental design
More informationVisit official programme website
- Masters Design Project
- Urban Design Theory and Practice
- Places, Cities and Cultures
- Research and Professional Skills, Tools and Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign View 409 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
2.1 (or international equivalent) Entry requirements: 2:1 degree (or international equivalent) in architecture or a related subject, with modules in architectural design or similar amounting to 25–50% of the total credits
International17910 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17910 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7785 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7785 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.