The specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy, accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education, emphasizes the practical application of systemic family therapy principles to the diagnosis and treatment of problems in human relationships.
Through extensive course work, clinical experience with client couples, families, and individuals, and supervision by approved supervisors of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, students in the specialization learn to integrate theory and research while developing the clinical skills of marriage and family therapists.
The specialization prepares students to function in mental health, family service, hospital business, and human service settings, and upon graduation students have completed all requirements for associate membership in the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Each year, Northern Illinois University welcomes more than 5,000 graduate students from around the world to our vibrant community. We invite you to join us. Explore our wide range of graduate degrees and certificates. Our programs will advance your education and your career, and you'll have outstanding opportunities for research, innovation and hands-on learning.
Our university and individual programs of study rank nationally year after year. NIU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching classifies NIU as a High Research Activity University.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Issues in Family Therapy
- Addiction and Substance Abuse in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Marriage and Family Therapy Strategies: Treatment of Children and Adolescents 3
- Approaches to Marriage and Family Therapy
- Marriage and Family Therapy Strategies: Treatment of Couples
- Theoretical Foundations of Family Therapy
- 21 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Psychology Counselling View 1058 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- Completed a four-year undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution or one with equivalent recognition.
- Achieved a 2.75 grade point average on a 4.00 scale, or the equivalent.
- If you received a three-year degree awarded through the Bologna process in Europe or a three-year Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Business Administration awarded in India, you are eligible to apply (provided you are seeking admission to the MBA or OMIS program).
- Letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose.
- Test scores (if required).
- Resume or curriculum vitae (optional)
- Additional materials required by your program.
International26197 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 849 USD per credit during 21 months.
National15181 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 492 USD per credit during 21 months.
In-State15181 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 492 USD per credit during 21 months.
Living costs for DeKalb
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.