This postgraduate programme allows you to develop a detailed theoretical understanding of structural engineering, and how to apply that understanding to practical design situations. These include the response of structures to extreme loading, such as winds and earthquakes.
The course integrates theory, application and design. Theory will be introduced alongside its application using in advanced software and computer modelling, in structural engineering and in BIM, so that you can see how it relates to real-world problems.
Structural design is a core element of the course, providing you with the opportunity to extend your knowledge of steel and concrete structures. Tall buildings and bridges provide further opportunities for you to integrate advanced analysis with design in a practical context.
- The programme is accredited as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired a partial CEng accredited undergraduate first degree.
- The department has extensive facilities, including a strong floor for structural testing, hydraulics lab, large centrifuge for geotechnical research and teaching and atmospheric boundary layer wind tunnel.
- The department has extensive links with industrial sponsors and other organisations, locally, nationally and internationally.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Civil Engineering Research Project
- Dynamics and Wind Engineering
- Advanced Structural Analysis
- Bridge Engineering
- Earthquake Engineering
- Tall Building Group Design Project
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 125 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in United Kingdom
Applicants need to have studied structural analysis and structural design in each year of their undergraduate programme.
International22815 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22815 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7785 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7785 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.