The increasing older adult population means there is a demand for experts in the field of aging studies. To prepare you advanced roles in this growing field, we offer the Leadership and Aging Studies specialization.
This Leadership in Aging Studies major at Northern Illinois University provides professional career enhancement for advanced graduate work and research, secondary and college teaching, and programming and administration in family social services and child development settings in community and government agencies, including youth work, gerontological programming, child life programs in hospitals, infant and child care programs, family support services, and family life and parenting education.
Courses in statistics and analysis, administration and management, aging and families, as well as additional coursework through internships and teaching, are designed to give you the expertise to become a leader in organizations, services and research focused on aging.A program of courses is developed cooperatively by the student and an adviser. In addition to taking the required courses, the student may focus on an individualized area of interest through the selection of courses within and outside the school.Students-at-large intending to take courses required by this program should meet with the program coordinator.
Within the major, there is also the opportunity to specialize in marriage and family therapy.
Specialization in Leadership in Aging Studies
The specialization in leadership in aging studies is intended for those interested in pursuing leadership positions in aging, including, but not limited to, long-term care, social services, service management, and research and evaluation. The program is designed to meet competencies outlined by the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education as well as the needs of those intending to sit for the Illinois Nursing Home Administrator’s License. The foundation for the program is the systemic study of the development of individuals and families within an ecological and global framework. Note: The Illinois Nursing Home Administrators License also has specific experience requirements. See state of Illinois codes for further details.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Educational Statistics
- Theories and Issues in Aging Studies
- Leadership in Aging Services
- Seminar: Contemporary Issues in Applied Human Development and Family Sciences
- Seminar in Human Development and Family Studies
- Research Methods
- Principles of Long-Term Care Administration
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Health Sciences View 1102 other Masters in Health Sciences in United States
- Completed a four-year undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution or one with equivalent recognition.
- Achieved a 2.75 grade point average on a 4.00 scale, or the equivalent.
- If you received a three-year degree awarded through the Bologna process in Europe or a three-year Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Business Administration awarded in India, you are eligible to apply (provided you are seeking admission to the MBA or OMIS program).
- Letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose.
- Test scores (if required).
- Resume or curriculum vitae (optional)
- Additional materials required by your program.
International849 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 849 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National492 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 492 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State492 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 492 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.