The web-based MA Modern English Language offers you the opportunity to follow a wide range of modules from across the expertise of the language section of the School of English.
Therefore, this course is ideal if you do not want to specialise in your language study or if you want the flexibility of building your own programme.The MA has intakes in September and February.
- The MA courses by web-based distance learning build on the international reputation of the School of English at Nottingham as one of the foremost centres for English Language research in the world.
- The School of English was ranked 7th in the UK for English in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
- 7th in Britain for English in The Complete University Guide 2017
- 45th in the QS World University 2018 rankings for English Language and Literature
- 9th in the UK for 'research power' (REF 2014).
- The course is taught using a course tool software called Moodle. It is also supported by extensive online resources, course materials and teaching.
- The programme offers an excellent route towards pursuing a PhD.
- The MA Modern English Language is also available as a taught full- or part-time course within the University.
- As well as completing this course at a pace that suits you and your other commitments, you have the flexibility to study towards a Postgraduate Certificate (60 credits), Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits) or an MA (180 credits, including dissertation). Please note that if you wish to study for a Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma you still need to apply for the full MA; you would then elect to leave the course with the alternative award once studying.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Descriptive Linguistic Analysis
- Old Norse Texts
- Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
- Investigating Health Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 461 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
2.1(Upper 2nd class hons degree or international equivalent)
International9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9450 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9450 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.