The one-year taught Social Practice and the Creative Environment programme from the Technological University of the Shannon is designed for cultural practitioners who engage with the field of social relations as part of their work. Social Practice encompasses such diverse practices as art-activism, critical art, socially engaged art and architecture, social practice art, activism, political cultural work, participatory, dialogical and collaborative practices of art and/or design. It involves individuals, communities and/or social institutions in the activation of new situations, working critically through different modes of production and co-production. The move towards Social Practice, at practitioner and institutional levels, reflects a growing need for a democratization of the relationship between creative practitioners and communities, and a sharing of ‘expert’ and ‘lay’ knowledges.
The MA SPaCE provides a challenging seminar programme that gives students a strong theoretical basis from which to articulate the critical and creative dimensions of their work. Students are supported to develop proposals and projects in situations of their own choosing and encouraged to engage with publics as part of their research process.
This innovative MA programme is distinctive in that;
- It is focused on Social Practice
- It is delivered through theory and practice
- It is open to practitioners of art and design
- It is also open to experienced graduates outside of the art and design fields.
The MA is open to graduates from the fields of art and design, and to experienced graduates outside of the art and design fields. Previous students have come from dance, social work, performance, youth work, architecture, media studies and more. The content of the programme reflects that diversity, engaging with the work of artists, designers, cultural practitioners and disciplines directed towards other aspects of contemporary society.
The aims of the programme:
- Provide high quality teaching and active learning to post-graduate students through an innovative, student-centered programme.
- Develop the TUS focus on art education drawing on contemporary, collaborative, and adaptive modalities.
- Offer a specialisation in social practice that leads the growing significance of the discipline within contemporary art and design practice. Foster creative responses to social conditions that have an impact for society, in Limerick city and beyond.
- Assist students to work closely with cultural, educational, voluntary, and public and community partners and to form a network of creative professionals.
- Teach students to think, act, manage and collaborate at an appropriate post-graduate level.
- Provide a programme that focuses on the application of creativity and innovation to real-life issues.
- Circuits of Dissemination
- Critical Impulses: A Genealogy of Practice
- Documentation: Critical Reflection and Evaluation of Major Project
- Major Project
- Voices from the Field
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Management Environmental Sciences Political Science View 15 other Masters in Environmental Management in Ireland
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Technological University of the Shannon and/or in Ireland, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Candidates entering the course must have: A minimum 2.2 honours degree in their chosen Art, Design, Humanities, and/or related fields of study e.g. Architecture, New Media, the Performing Arts and Multi-Media
- Equivalent qualifications including the pre-NFQ NCEA National Diploma. Applicants with equivalent qualifications on the European and International frameworks will also be considered. International students must evidence a proficiency in English language.
- Candidates with prior experiential learning will be considered for the MA SPACE programme. The work of candidates with prior experiential learning is assessed by an internal panel of experts to asertain that the candidate can operate at Level 9.
International14500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14500 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
- Non-EU: €14,500
Living costs for Limerick
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.