Microbiology is the science which is concerned with the study of micro-organisms including their distribution and role in the environment and their relationship to other living organisms including humans (in health and disease) and other animals. An understanding of the basic nature and molecular structure of the microbes has been a major factor in the advancement of molecular biology as a scientific discipline and in establishing microbial genetics as an advancing science.
Master of Science - Microbiology at University of Otago plays a central role as one of the basic biological sciences and has been at the forefront of research aimed at probing the nature of life processes. During the past several decades many of the major discoveries which have helped to elucidate the fundamental principles of molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics have arisen from studies using micro-organisms. Micro-organisms are also closely associated with the health and welfare of animals including human beings, with some micro-organisms having beneficial effects and others having detrimental effects.Many large-scale industrial processes, involved in the manufacture of food and beverages, as well as the production of many pharmaceutical, chemical and agricultural products, are microbiologically based. Microbiology also plays a vital part in the control of pollution in the environment through treatment processes for water and industrial, agricultural and domestic wastes.
- Master's Thesis Preparation
- Molecular Microbiology
- Microbiology and Immunology Research
- Trends in Microbiology
- Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Biochemistry View 8 other Masters in Biochemistry in New Zealand
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International25035 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25035 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National6206 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6206 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
- National: 9,398 NZD
- International: 37,904 NZD
The University offers a number of generous masters’ awards and doctoral scholarships (for PhD and other doctoral-level study). These scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit, research ability (where applicable) and suitability within the department. No interview is required. Students already receiving a full scholarship covering tuition fees and living costs are not usually eligible.
You can find out more about our scholarship options by visiting our scholarship page: https://www.otago.ac.nz/international/future-students/international-scholarships/
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.