At this MSc in Metal Additive Manufacturing at the Cranfield University practical experience will be gained through assignments and group and individual projects in close collaboration with leading industrial end users. The graduate will meet a major part of the requirements for membership of the appropriate professional organisations, and will have experience and skills in the management of research and development projects.
Cranfield University has over 20 years’ experience in large-scale AM of metallic structures on all fronts i.e. process design; incorporation of ancillary processes (cold work, metrology, inspection); development of specialist hardware and CAM software; qualification of material properties and definition of design and manufacturing rules.
Our ever-growing materials portfolio features alloys such as titanium, aluminium, iron, nickel and copper-based systems as well as exotic elements such as tungsten, molybdenum, and tantalum.
Access is given to several state-of-the-art AM facilities including Wire + Arc AM systems (based on robotic arms), CNC gantries, laser-wire AM systems and powder-based systems.
Did you know we have the biggest metal 3D printer? 3D printing also known as additive manufacture (AM), enables the production of metal parts at significantly reduced time and cost when compared to existing methods.
You will join a teaching and research team of approximately 30 people, and will have the chance to work on projects within the WAAMMat consortium. This currently includes 20 industry partners (including Airbus, BAE SYSTEMS, Lockheed Martin, etc).
This qualification takes you on to a wide range of careers involving metal additive manufacturing processes, with experts needed in all fields from design, processes or simulation. Responsibilities include research, development, design, engineering, consultancy and management across a broad range of industrial sectors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Additive Manufacturing System Design
- Finite Element Analysis (theory and hands-on experience on FEA)
- General Management
- Management of Manufacturing Quality (defects, standards, procedures, statistical control)
- Metal Additive Manufacturing Processes (an overview of the technologies used in metal AM)
- Metal Additive Manufacturing Metallurgy (will provide an understanding of micro-structures and metallurgical characteristics of various alloy systems deposited by AM).
- Net-shape Manufacturing (a closer look at the net-shape AM processes ,plus others)
- Post-processing for AM (understanding and selecting the most appropriate post-processing techniques)
Cranfield University offers the MSc course in order to deliver graduates who are able to hold positions of significant engineering responsibility in the wide range of organisations using Metal Additive Manufacturing Technologies.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Although there are no set application deadlines, we recommend that you apply as early as possible to secure your place.
- Start date: Part-time throughout the year
DisciplinesProject Management Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 129 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Candidates must possess, or be expected to achieve, a first or second class UK Honours degree or equivalent in a relevant science, engineering or related discipline. Other relevant qualifications, together with significant experience, may be considered.
- Applicants who do not fulfil the standard entry requirements can apply for the Pre-Masters programme, successful completion of which will qualify them for entry to this course for a second year of study.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21500 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10500 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- PgDip Full-time: £8,000
- PgCert Full-time: £4,600
- PgDip Full-time: £17,400
- PgCert Full-time: £8,700
Living costs for Cranfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- The Hingston Scholarship
- Global Manufacturing Leadership Masters Scholarship
- GREAT China Scholarship
- Masters Loan from Student Finance England
- Santander Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Countries
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.