Financial mathematics is a branch of mathematics where advanced mathematical and statistical methods are developed for and applied to financial markets and financial management. Its main aims are to quantify and hedge risks in the financial marketplace.
Applicants should have a solid background in mathematics including calculus, linear algebra, ordinary differential equations and basic techniques used in probability and statistics.Effective computational methods are crucial for the successful use of mathematical modelling in finance. This course is designed to reflect this combination of knowledge and skills so that graduates are well equipped to enter the competitive job markets of quantitative finance and related fields. Optional modules also equip graduates with foundations of data analytics.
- One of the largest and strongest mathematics departments in the UK, with over 70 full-time academic staff
- The REF 2014 results place the School in the top 10 nationally within Mathematical Sciences for 'research power' and 'research quality'; with 32% of its research recognised as world-leading and a further 56% as internationally excellent
- The research environment was classified as 75% world-leading in vitality and sustainability, with the remaining 25% internationally excellent, reflecting the outstanding setting the School provides for its academic staff as well as its postdoctoral and postgraduate researchers
- The course has its own advisory board consisting of leading experts from the financial industry and academia
- Offered in collaboration with the School of Economics
More informationVisit official programme website
- Advanced Financial Mathematics
- Computational Applied Mathematics
- Financial Mathematics
- Financial and Computational Mathematics Dissertation
- Scientific Computing and C++
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesFinancial Mathematics Computer Sciences Actuarial Science View 125 other Masters in Actuarial Science in United Kingdom
2:1 (or international equivalent) in mathematics, physics or engineering; a strong mathematics background is essential
International22815 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22815 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA11475 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11475 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.