The Master of Dance Movement Therapy is an internationally recognized professional accreditation.
Over two years of study and research, students become fluent in key aspects of dance movement therapy including anatomy and kinesiology, movement analysis, psychology, dance-based interventions in community and clinical settings, and individual and group therapeutic relationship.
You will critically examine practices, theories and issues enabling you to contribute to the field of dance movement therapy in practice and theory.
The Master of Dance Movement Therapy from University of Auckland provides qualification as a certified dance movement therapist, for registration in New Zealand, Australia and beyond, in clinical and community contexts.
This programme leads to career opportunities bringing together dance and health in diverse national and international contexts.
Jobs related to this programme
- Activities coordinator in aged care
- Arts therapist
- Counsellor utilising dance therapy techniques
- Dance movement therapist
- Disability dance specialist in schools
- Group facilitator (disability, children, families, high needs populations)
- Teaching, training, education
- Therapeutic dance teacher
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Your first year of study will involve taught courses, practicums and independent research with experienced dance therapists, practitioners and researchers. International and local expertise and networks will support your future in dance therapy.
- The second year is comprised of an advanced practicum in dance therapy and a written thesis, which will draw extensively on community and clinic-based experience. You have the opportunity through this to develop a speciality within the field of dance movement therapy.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Theatre & Dance Music Performance View 5 other Masters in Music Performance in New Zealand
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You must have completed the requirements for the bachelors degree or higher in a relevant field with a GPA of 5.0. Relevant fields include Dance Studies, Counselling, Exercise Sciences, Health Sciences, Physical Education, Psychology, Sport Science, Theatre Studies, and/or qualifications that lead to registration as a health professional.
- Written statement
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International31960 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31960 USD per year during 24 months.
National6311 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6311 USD per year during 24 months.
- Domestic: NZ$8,797.20 – $9,565.20
- International: NZ$44,526
Living costs for Auckland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.