You will learn how to evaluate sedimentary basins and leads along with prospect generation. You will be given the skills to explore for oil and gas (and unconventional hydrocarbons). We provide a global overview of major hydrocarbon provinces, as well as current exploration trends.
This Petroleum Exploration Geoscience programme from The University of Manchester is ideal if you wish to pursue a career in the oil industry working in exploration for oil and gas. It is also suitable for anyone who wishes to focus on field appraisal and development.
The petroleum industry is the largest employer of earth science graduates, with good employment prospects in the United Kingdom and overseas in oil companies, consultancies, service companies, government bodies, the financial sector, and in teaching and research. During the research project students normally have the opportunity to work within sponsor oil company offices, gaining valuable industrial experience. The MSc course has a very strong track record for employability.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Reservoir Engineering Fundamentals
- Fundamentals of Petroleum Geoscience
- Basin Analysis
- Exploration Group Project
- Development Group Project
- Prospect Evaluation and Petroleum Economics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Apply as early as possible as our courses are popular.
DisciplinesGeology View 62 other Masters in Geology in United Kingdom
- A good Honours degree in Geology, Geophysics, Petroleum Engineering or related discipline. Work experience may also be taken into account. Please contact the school for further information.
- Some English Language test results are only valid for two years. Your English Language test report must be valid on the start date of the course.
International27000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.