The Teaching English as a Second Language program from University of Arizona is affiliated with the Center for ESL and the Graduate Interdisciplinary PhD in SLAT, and also offers an undergraduate concentration for English majors.
The English Department maintains four degree-granting graduate programs:
- Literature (MA and PhD)
- Creative Writing (MFA)
- Rhetoric, Composition, and the Teaching of English, known as RCTE (MA and PhD)
- English Applied Linguistics, known as EAL (MA in TESL, with ties to the PhD in SLAT)
Each of these programs is separately administered and has a separate application procedure. In general (some programs may make exceptions or have a different deadline) applications are due in early January (for matriculation the following August). Admissions are highly selective. The department therefore urges prospective applicants to confer, by early autumn at the latest, with the Director of the individual program in which they are interested.
To access the landing page for an individual program, click on its name below. On these pages you will find contact information for each program, as well as information about graduate study in the department.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Identity and Language
- Materials & Curriculum Development and Assessment
- Second Language Acquisition Theory
- Cultural Dimensions of SLA
- Modern English Grammar
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Linguistics View 726 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Complete the online UA Graduate School application. The online Graduate School application will lead you to the online ELL program application.
- Curriculum Vita (resumé) or equivalent
- Scans of official transcripts from each academic institution attended. Please send official transcripts to the program address below.
- A two- to three-page statement of purpose. This statement should describe your teaching, leadership, and cross-cultural experiences as well as your academic and career goals.
- The email addresses of two or three referrers for letters of reference.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International33600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 USD per year during 12 months.
National33600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State13400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13400 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.