Unlike other graduate programs in the study of religion, the MA in Religion in Culture at The University of Alabama therefore presses beyond mere description and cross-cultural comparison to use social theory to understand the effects that narratives, practices, classification systems, and institutional structures have on social groups and their members -- always doing so with an eye toward training students to use innovative technologies to effectively communicate their findings to wide audiences.
The premise of the degree is that the work taking place in our field has wide relevance. Promoting both critical analysis and innovative communication skills are therefore the cornerstones of this MA. While all students will carry out their own independent research and gain co-writing experience with their supervisor, courses will require them to produce both original article-length research papers as well as create innovative digital presentations. In consultation with their supervisor, their culminating thesis project will emphasize one or the other of these two modes of scholarly communication -- allowing students to tailor the thesis to suit their own interests and career plans.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Social Theory Foundations
- Public Humanities Foundations
- Capstone Seminar
- Thesis Hours
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 693 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
- Applicant data sheet and statement of purpose
- One transcript for each U.S. or international institution of higher education
- Admissions test scores less than five years old
- The application fee is $65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and $80 for international applicants
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Additional application materials (e.g., portfolios, writing samples, responses to essay questions, etc.) required by individual departments
- International applicants must submit one certified copy in the native language along with certified precise word-for-word English translations of all transcripts, diplomas, and certificates of degree.
International29230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14615 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National10780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5390 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.