The terrestrial water cycle includes the atmospheric component (water vapor, clouds, and precipitation) and the land component (surface and subsurface runoff, infiltration, evapotranspiration, snowmelt, river flow). Hydrometeorology plays a major role in weather and climate and strongly affects human activities.
Historically, the science and practice of hydrology has focused on land-related processes and has relied on prescribed atmospheric inputs (from observations or atmospheric model outputs, or through empirical estimates derived from conventional meteorological measurements).
In other words, the land-generated feedbacks to the atmosphere have usually not been considered. In contrast, while the atmospheric sciences generate hydrologically-relevant forecasts, they tend to avoid dealing with the details of processes influencing feedbacks generated by the land surface.
In establishing this linkage, it addresses the following questions:
- What is the science involved with the interface of water in the atmosphere and water on the ground?
- What are the ramifications for predictive capabilities when these processes are incorporated into coupled numerical weather and climate models?
- What are the new applications in water quality (and how are water quality issues linked to precipitation and related run off issues)?
- How is the full understanding of the hydrologic cycle from "white water" to "blue water" (from precipitation to streams to ocean to water vapor to precipitation) related to the advancements in prediction and related societal benefits that link back to the water quality issue?
Our mission from the Major in Hydrometeorology at The University of Arizona is to:
- Educate students by providing them with (1) a well-rounded background in the related fields of atmospheric, hydrologic and systems sciences, (2) the tools and methods for numerical modeling, prediction and data assimilation (surface hydrology, weather and climate), and (3) the sensors, data sources and data manipulation tools, including remote-sensing and geographic information systems (GIS)
- Partner with various national and international weather and climate forecasting agencies to identify critical hydrometeorological knowledge gaps, to support, encourage, and facilitate research in multidisciplinary hydrometeorological science, and to work towards improved forecasts and forecast support (particularly over arid and semiarid regions, such as the Western US), and
- Serve the hydrometeorological science and operational communities by coordinating meetings and workshops seeking to build consensus related to hydrometeorological science and to assist in the transfer of advances in understanding into the decision-making arena.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Dynamic Meteorology
- A Physical Meteorology
- Fundamentals in Surface Water Hydrology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHydrology & Water Management General Engineering & Technology View 1864 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Submit all required application materials, including letters of recommendation, electronically with the Graduate College application.
- Paper applications are no longer accepted.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 12 months.
National34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State14000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.