The English Department maintains four degree-granting graduate programs:
- Literature (MA and PhD)
- Creative Writing (MFA)
- Rhetoric, Composition, and the Teaching of English, known as RCTE (MA and PhD)
- English Applied Linguistics, known as EAL (MA in TESL, with ties to the PhD in SLAT)
English As A Second Language degree offered by the University of Arizona is separately administered and has a separate application procedure. In general (some programs may make exceptions or have a different deadline) applications are due in early January (for matriculation the following August).
Admissions are highly selective
The department therefore urges prospective applicants to confer, by early autumn at the latest, with the Director of the individual program in which they are interested.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master of Arts in English as a Second Language (MA/ESL) degree program, designed for current and future professionals in applied linguistics and TESL/TEFL, offers a balanced emphasis on theory and practice.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 711 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Curriculum Vita (resumé) or equivalent
- Scans of official transcripts from each academic institution attended. Please send official transcripts to the program address below.
- A two- to three-page statement of purpose. This statement should describe your teaching, leadership, and cross-cultural experiences as well as your academic and career goals.
- The email addresses of two or three referrers for letters of reference.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10063 USD per semester during 12 months.
National20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10063 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State11938 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5969 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.