The School of English at Nottingham has long been at the forefront of research and teaching in the area of applied linguistics.
This MA provides an exciting opportunity to work with leading world figures in the subject and to investigate English language in applied contexts.
You will be introduced to the key ideas and concepts in applied linguistics and provided with thorough training in relevant research methods. This MA provides an excellent route into PhD study after completion of the MA.
The principle of language study that we have established at Nottingham combines theoretical and ideological dimensions with practical applications; with a rigorous and principled approach.The key features of this course include: a theoretical grounding in research methodology and linguistic description, one-to-one tuition with expert members of staff, teaching informed by active leading-edge researchers in the field, innovative and engaging teaching methods, and access to many online resources and flexibility in course content.
- Masters students attend research events and are actively engaged in the research community of the Centre for Research in Applied Linguistics (CRAL). This MA is among the most popular postgraduate courses of its kind in the UK
- The School of English was ranked 7th in the UK for English in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
- 7th in Britain for English in The Complete University Guide 2017
- 45th in the QS World University 2018 rankings for English Language and Literature
- 9th in the UK for 'research power' (REF 2014)
- The programme offers an excellent route towards pursuing a PhD
- The Applied Linguistics MA is also available as a web-based distance learning course
- For details of ESRC, and other sources of funding, visit the school's website
- Hear from current students in our School of English masters student videos
More informationVisit official programme website
- Business & Organisational Communication
- Cognition & Literature
- Consciousness in Fiction
- Dramatic Discourse
- English Vocabulary: Teaching & Learning
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 476 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
2.1 (Upper 2nd class honours undergraduate degree or international equivalent) in English language/literature or a related arts or humanities subject
International17910 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17910 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7290 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7290 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.