This MA course builds on the international reputation of the School of English at Nottingham as one of the foremost centres for English Language research in the world. The school's Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching programme provides a broad course of study in language and linguistics. You will work with several world figures while discovering your own position in applied linguistics.The principle of language study established at the University of Nottingham combines theoretical and ideological dimensions with practical applications; particularly English Language Teaching (ELT). This course explores ELT from multiple perspectives, including Second Language Acquisition, motivation and individual learner differences, psycholinguistics, discourse analysis, and corpus linguistics.
- Masters students attend research events and are actively engaged in the research community of the Centre for Research in Applied Linguistics (CRAL). This MA is among the most popular postgraduate courses of its kind in the UK
- The School of English was ranked 7th in the UK for English in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
- 7th in Britain for English in The Complete University Guide 2017
- 45th in the QS World University 2018 rankings for English Language and Literature
- 9th in the UK for 'research power' (REF 2014)
- The programme offers an excellent route towards pursuing a PhD
- The Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching MA is also available as a web-based distance learning course
- For details of ESRC, and other sources of funding, visit the school's website
- Hear from current students in our School of English masters student videos
More informationVisit official programme website
- Advanced Research Methods in Applied Linguistics: Quantitative and Qualitative Methods
- Second Language Acquisition
- Language Teaching: Speaking & Listening
- Psychology of Language
- Group Dynamics and Motivation in the Language Classroom
- English Vocabulary: Teaching and Learning
- Intercultural Communication
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 461 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
2.1 (Upper 2nd class honours undergraduate degree or international equivalent) in English language/literature or a related arts or humanities subject
International17910 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17910 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7290 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7290 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.