This MA course builds on the international reputation of the School of English at Nottingham as one of the foremost centres for English language research in the world. The school’s modern English language programme provides a broad course of study in language and linguistics.
The principle of language study established at Nottingham combines theoretical and ideological dimensions with practical applications; we aim to be rigorous and principled while offering an approach to language study that is fundamentally humane.
The MA has intakes in September and February.As well as completing this course at a pace that suits you and your other commitments, you have the flexibility to study towards a Postgraduate Certificate (60 credits), Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits) or an MA (180 credits, including dissertation). Please note that if you wish to study for a Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma you still need to apply for the full MA; you would then elect to leave the course with the alternative award (in Modern English Language) once studying.
- This MA course by web-based distance learning builds on the international reputation of the School of English at Nottingham as one of the foremost centres for English language research in the world
- Ranked 6th for creative writing and 11th for English in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- Ranked 6th for creative writing and 7th for English and in The Complete University Guide 2019
- Ranked 45th for English language and literature in the QS World University Rankings 2018
- 9th in the UK for research power in the Research Excellence Framework, 2014
- This course is taught using a course tool software called Moodle, and supported by extensive online resources, course materials and teaching
- This programme offers an excellent route towards pursuing a PhD
- This MA is convened in the Centre for Research in Applied Linguistics
More informationVisit official programme website
- Discourse Analysis
- Vocabulary: Teaching and Learning
- Intercultural Communication
- Language and Gender
- Syllabus Design and Methodology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Linguistics View 222 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
2:1 (or international equivalent), plus two years of approved teaching experience
International9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9450 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9450 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.