At a Glance
English is a world language and the world places a high value on those professionals who can teach English well. Once qualified with the internationally-recognised TESOL - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages programme of the University of Aberdeen, you will be well placed to travel and teach English worldwide, with confidence and skill.
With a strong commitment to global standards for excellence, our MSc also reflects a refreshing practical approach and clear focus on your career goals. A comprehensive programme that will allow you to develop academically and professionally, it is built around giving you:
- Practical skills
- Expert linguistics knowledge.
You will gain a solid grounding in the latest research-based methodologies for language teaching, which will be of direct use to you in your professional life. You will also develop specialised skills through practice in the classroom.
Through a combination of learning methods and assessments, including experiential teaching sessions, seminars and observations, you will develop a deep understanding of the diversity of language teaching methods. You will assess situations from different perspectives to master appropriate teaching techniques.
Instead of a dissertation, you can choose to have a Focused Teaching Portfolio to show to prospective employers, which is completed in the final summer term. This practical document builds into a valuable record of your growing knowledge, skills and experience - tangible proof you can show to any future employer that adds allure to your CV.
Along with other students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds, you will be tutored by a group of highly qualified and committed academic staff who will help you develop not only your critical but also your creative thinking skills.
By seeing things from different viewpoints, our students often find more meaningful ways to teach as an individual and develop the confidence to write it, test it, prove it…then go out into the world and do it.
The English language is in ever increasing demand throughout the world. Knowledge of the English language and the ability to use this language is a valuable global commodity.
- Employment anywhere in the world.
- Native English teaching, English as a second language advisors, lecturers.
- Teaching TESOL up to professor level at specialist colleges and institutes.
- Centre Directors.
- Language specialists, assessment specialists.
- Continuation to a PhD by research from this degree.
- Theories of Learning
- English Structure and use
- Qualitative TESOL Research
- Quantitative TESOL Research
- Second Language Acquisition
- TESOL Methodology: Teaching English as a Second or Other Language
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Linguistics View 446 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
- Students are required to have a good 2.1 degree (or its equivalent) in a related discipline, such as English or Linguistics, and/or sufficient English Language Teaching experience as approved by the admissions officer
- English Language Requirements
- A full transcript showing all the subjects you studied and the marks you have achieved in your degree(s) (original & official English translation)
- Personal Statement
- A reference letter from your university discussing your academic ability
International22400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10600 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.