In a volatile world, the study of history is more timely than ever. With an M.A. in History from UND, you’ll examine the past from diverse perspectives and prepare to launch an exciting career as a historian.
Why Study History at University of North Dakota?
Studying the past helps us to interpret events and prepare for an uncertain future. It also helps you become a more persuasive writer and critical thinker — skills that are valuable in just about any career.
As a history student at UND, you'll choose from two options:
- The thesis M.A. develops your research skills in preparation for doctoral studies and prepares you for careers in law, journalism and similar fields.
- The non-thesis M.A. is a good choice if you don't plan to pursue an advanced degree. It provides a pathway to careers in teaching, government, public history and more.
Whichever option you select, you'll conduct significant, independent research and learn to explain the past in ways that are meaningful to the present.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Methods of Historical Research
- Seminar in the Teaching of History
- Research Seminar in American History
- Readings in European History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- 30 (thesis option)
- 35 (non-thesis option)
DisciplinesHistory View 666 other Masters in History in United States
- Demonstration of preparation for graduate study in history.
- An overall undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00 and at least 3.25 in all undergraduate history courses.
- A writing sample, preferably a research or seminar paper
- Three letters of recommendation with at least two coming from individuals who hold or have held academic positions and who can comment on the applicant’s aptitude for graduate work.
- A one-to-two page statement that explains the applicant’s interest in history, the reason for applying to the UND graduate program
- The applicant must meet the School of Graduate Studies’ current minimum general admission requirements as published in the graduate catalog.
International22120 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22120 USD per year during 24 months.
National16590 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16590 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State11060 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11060 USD per year during 24 months.
- Minnesota residents: 14,046 USD per year
Living costs for Grand Forks
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.