Postgraduate Diploma in Arts Subjects - Film and Media Studies at University of Otago is concerned with the teaching of visual literacy as it applies to moving images since the advent of modernity and beyond, and looks at dominant practices (Hollywood cinema, global media, mass-entertainment), and alternative practices (art-film and avant-garde, local and indigenous media).
It is concerned with the teaching of visual literacy as it applies to moving images since the advent of modernity and beyond, and looks at dominant practices (Hollywood cinema, global media, mass-entertainment), and alternative practices (art-film and avant-garde, local and indigenous media).
Our graduates work in a variety of fields, including media production, journalism, education, advertising, administration, archival and curatorial work, media policy analysis, public relations, tourism, and some go on to postgraduate study in our Honours, Masters and PhD programmes. A degree from the Department prepares you for a wide range of career options, including career pathways that might not yet exist.
- With the permission of the Heads of the Departments concerned, a candidate may substitute a paper of another subject for one of the required papers. When such permission is granted, prerequisite and corequisite requirements laid down in the Prescriptions may be waived.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 19 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International20964 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20964 USD per year during 12 months.
National6025 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6025 USD per year during 12 months.
- National: $8,279.00
- International: $28,805
Living costs for Dunedin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.