Since product design and development are considered transdisciplinary, they require profound knowledge of design methods, manufacturing tools, production processes, ergonomics, aesthetics and sustainability. Skills in these areas help to respond to market demands rapidly and produce justifiable and usable products on a competitive market.
This knowledge is needed at different stages of product development to meet the needs of industries, support product users, and respond to environmental issues.
This Industrial Design Engineering programme from LUT University is a unique study opportunity in Finland, combining knowledge of and working methods in production engineering, industrial design and material development. It emphasises a combination of design skills and engineering qualifications through project courses in which students apply their knowledge to practice. Projects are carried out in close cooperation with Finnish and European industries. As a result, this programme is a popular major subject that has seen a rapid growth in applicant numbers nationally and internationally.
The Master's Programme in Industrial Design Engineering employs massive open online courses (MOOCs), enabling students to complete nearly half of their studies remotely. The online courses and internet-based exercises are a flexible and dynamic way to complete studies.
The course applies a hybrid of online and contact teaching: nearly two thirds of the teaching sessions are conducted remotely online. The contact lessons are usually not mandatory, and teachers may provide teaching material to students online. Course presentations, seminar days, meetings and laboratory visits are agreed on flexibly with the lecturer in charge of the course.
The demand for industrial design engineering experts is growing due to new technological developments and their importance in the development of our society.
As a graduate of the programme, you will have diverse possibilities for a career in companies' design departments as an industrial designer, brand manager, product designer, production manager, design engineer, interaction designer or packaging designer, in research or even in a design firm of your own.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- In core studies, 33 ECTS credits, you will study research methods, product design and production process, selection of materials, applied mathematics and additive manufacturing.
- Advanced specialisation studies, 57 ECTS credits, focus on topics such as sustainable design, ergonomics in design, interaction of products and consumers, productivity and sustainability in sheet metal production, design communication and visualisation, innovation in design, product design and production processes, structural and mechanical system design, forming and assembly for metal product design.
- The Master's thesis, 30 ECTS credits, is an advanced research project during the programme's fourth semester. The Master's thesis requires approximately six months of full-time work.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- The next rolling admission is 1 November 2022–15 May 2023.
- The next regular admission is 1 December 2022–18 January 2023.
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Industrial Design General Engineering & Technology View 13 other Masters in Industrial & Systems Engineering in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- a minimum of 2.50 on the scale of 1.00-5.00
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at LUT University and/or in Finland, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor of Science in Technology OR closely related to Technology -Completed in a University - All countries
- Other degree mentioned in a programme-specific eligibility requirements completed worldwide (excluding Finland)
- you must fulfill the programme-specific requirements.
- gain a minimum of 50% of the given points in the interview (regarding all the programmes excluding Electrical Engineering).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Lahti
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Industrial Design Engineering.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.