At a Glance
The Intellectual Property Law with Professional Skills programme of the University of Aberdeen provides a challenging and stimulating degree that engages you with a future in innovation, brands and cultural heritage.
This constantly evolving field explores the key issues of control and reward in innovation and society. It is concerned with areas such as literature and trademarks, brands, health and media and new information technologies such as 3D printing.
The programme offers an opportunity for students from the UK and overseas to explore a range of fascinating, multi-faceted legal and societal questions. Intellectual property law is a valuable asset to businesses and you will gain a deep understanding of its benefits and challenges within corporate and economic frameworks.
You will have the opportunity to learn about the power and challenges of intellectual property, including its limits in terms of innovation, creativity and development. In addition, the Law School also has other existing LLM courses that fit well within the programme, such as: World Trade Organisation: GATT, European Economic Law and International Commercial Arbitration.
This programme was designed with the assistance of intellectual property law experts as well as our internal staff at the University. With this combined input, you will gain unique insights into the subject and will advance your understanding of the factors that influence it. The programme has been carefully coordinated to align with the competencies required for today’s international job market.
The University of Aberdeen is known for attracting world-class teaching staff with international experience in their specialist subjects meaning you will have access to first rate teaching from globally respected thought leaders.
Studying Intellectual Property Law at Aberdeen will provide you with a solid grounding for pursuing a career in the legal industries. A degree in IPL from Aberdeen could lead you to a career in law, journalism and media, international policymaking, activism, or with multinational corporations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Critical Legal Thinking and Scholarship
- International Intellectual Property: Framework and Challenges
- Copyright and Patents
- Commercialising Innovation and Law
- Trade Marks and Brand Development
- Cultural Property Issues: Law Art and Museums
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPatent & Intellectual Property Law Legal Studies Master of Laws (LLM) View 47 other Masters in Patent & Intellectual Property Law in United Kingdom
- Normally, a 2.1 honours degree (or equivalent) in Law will be required to be accepted onto this programme
- Relevant practical experience in a related field will also be beneficial
- English Language Requirements
- A full transcript showing all the subjects you studied and the marks you have achieved in your degree(s) (original & official English translation)
- A detailed personal statement explaining your motivation for this particular programme
- A reference letter from your university discussing your academic ability
International21500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11300 GBP per year during 12 months.
- RUK students fee - £11,300 per year
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.