The Geopolitics, Territory and Security MA at King's College London is a specialised master’s course, concentrating on the territorial element of inter-state relations. International (legal and technical) experts, as well as recognised scholars, will provide you with a clear theoretical and historical foundation in the principal study concepts relating to territory and international boundaries.
The course will introduce you to legal, technical and practical factors of the creation and maintenance of international boundaries on land and sea, as well as offering valuable insights into the processes involved in resolving border and territorial disputes. The course engages with how academic disciplines have evolved to cover territorial questions, including the latest vogue critical lenses. It also focuses on how processes play out at the regional level, including a concentration on the Middle East and North Africa.
- Learn from established academic authorities on borders, boundaries and territorial questions from a variety of multidisciplinary perspectives. Also learn from leading legal practitioners and technicians in international boundary dispute resolution, including from Eversheds (Paris), Latham and Watkins and Volterra Fietta.
- Makes extensive use of London’s vast collection of resources for researching historical and contemporary aspects of international boundary questions and territorial disputes.
- Excellent access to the National Archives and British Library.
- Flexibility for researching an extensive range of regional issues, with students granted considerable autonomy in developing the focus of their coursework.
Career prospectsGraduates from this course have gone on to occupy senior management positions in government agencies and international consultancies. Many have also gained employment with NGOs involved in dispute resolution, international law firms, government ministries, oil companies, departments of the United Nations and the European Union.
- Practising Social Research
- Dissertation in Geopolitics, Territory and Security
- Boundaries, Sovereignty and the Territorial State
- Territorial and Boundary Dispute Resolution
- Geopolitics of Natural Resource Disputes
- Critical Geographies of Terrorism
- Water, Security and the Environment
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPolitical Science Terrorism & Security Cyber Security View 401 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
- 2:1 undergraduate degree. Candidates who do not achieve a 2:1 but have professional or voluntary experience will also be considered.
- Please provide a writing sample of around 500 words, answering the following questions. Please note this an essential requirement and supporting statements which do not answer the questions below will not be assessed as part of your application.
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing the subjects studied and marks obtained.
- Two references are required with at least one academic.
- You may also wish to include a CV (Resume) or evidence of professional registration as part of your application.
International22350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22350 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9990 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9990 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Home/EU fees: £4,995 per year
- Overseas fees: £11,175 per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.