The one-semester research components that may comprise the design and implementation of a small research project, a case series, a data-based clinical review, a systematic review, or a critical review under the supervision of a member of staff, will ensure that the student is research enabled and ready to embrace evidence based practice in the performance of their career.
Alternatively, students can undertake two papers from the approved schedule and a thesis to obtain a research master's (MPhty). The School of Physiotherapy has a strong postgraduate research programme currently supporting numerous master's research students working on topics that range from neurological disorders to anatomical studies.
The Master of Physiotherapy - Sports Physiotherapy at University of Otago aim to provide students with a high level of knowledge and experience in order to help them develop their own research skills whether using qualitative or quantitative methodologies for statistical analysis, lab-based studies or community work, prevalence studies or intervention trialling – our aim is to have students complete their master,s confident in their abilities to conduct research and assess relevant literature and practices, whether this leads to PhD study in the future or to more assured clinical practice.
- Biomedical Science in Physiotherapy
- Sports Physiotherapy
- Orthopaedic Manipulative Physiotherapy
- Clinical Practice
- Research Methods
- Research Project
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Sports Sciences View 60 other Masters in Health Sciences in New Zealand
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International27378 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27378 USD per year and a duration of 18 months.
National7549 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7549 USD per year and a duration of 18 months.
- National: 11,430 NZD
- International: 41,452 NZD
The University offers a number of generous masters’ awards and doctoral scholarships (for PhD and other doctoral-level study). These scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit, research ability (where applicable) and suitability within the department. No interview is required. Students already receiving a full scholarship covering tuition fees and living costs are not usually eligible.
You can find out more about our scholarship options by visiting our scholarship page: https://www.otago.ac.nz/international/future-students/international-scholarships/
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.