The major thrust of research in Health Sciences - Genomic and Molecular Epidemiology program at the Erasmus University Rotterdam in the next ten years will be the identification of predisposing genes in complex diseases and the environmental factors. This may ultimately lead to a more targeted surveillance and improved clinical care.
The cause of most chronic diseases -including cancer, coronary artery disease, diabetes, hypertension, and psychiatric disorders- may lie in the interactions between environmental factors and genetic susceptibility. Genomic & molecular epidemiology helps optimize etiological studies through an integrated approach that draws on the methodologies of epidemiology, biostatistics, genetics and molecular biology.
The objective of the Health Sciences - Genomic and Molecular Epidemiology programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam - Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES) is to prepare candidates for epidemiological research in the areas of genetic determinants of diseases and of genetic risk assessment and seeks to train candidates in these specific fields or to prepare them for an executive/advisory positions in the area of public health, or health-policy.
- The student is able to translate a (clinical) epidemiologic, public health or health care problem into a scientific research question.
- The student is able to translate a scientific research question in the area of (clinical) epidemiology, public health or health care into a research protocol and/or proposal.
- The student is able to conduct a systematic literature review of a clinical or public health issue.
- The student has knowledge about quantitative methods and the ability to apply this knowledge in preparing, performing, analysing and interpreting research.
- The student understands core concepts of etiologic (causality), prognostic, diagnostic, prevention, and intervention research.
The degree prepares you for a career in international medical research or for executive or advisory positions in clinical medicine, public health, pharmaceutical research, or health policy.
This programme is NVAO accredited.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- First semester: methodological, statistical and programme specific courses.
- Second semester: individual research project and advanced elective courses.
- Research: Your individual research project will be supervised by leading professors and senior researchers, with the objective of delivering a high quality scientific research paper.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Epidemiology View 14 other Masters in Epidemiology in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You should fit each of the following criteria:
- You have a relevant Master’s degree in clinical medicine, public health, health sciences, clinical technology, nutrition, (medical) biology, pharmacy, human movement sciences, psychology, health economics, or a broad master’s education with subjects in these disciplines;
- You have experience with performing research and have interest in performing quantitative research.
- You have already (co-)authored a few scientific publications.
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written. For more information please
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14700 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA14700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14700 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Rotterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.