The Health Sciences - Epidemiology program, offered by the Erasmus University Rotterdam , plays an integral role in the application of medical research to populations, interacting with almost every other specialism.
Epidemiology studies the incidence, causes, consequences and control of disease, as well as people, patients and populations. It is a fundamental discipline for clinical medicine and public health. It may, together with basic science and clinical research, provide tools to learn about the etiology and consequences of diseases, the possibilities for prevention and treatment and the risk profiles of individuals and populations. Using advanced methods such as statistical analyses, field research and complex laboratory techniques, epidemiologists map various elements of a disease and the ways they are related.
The objective of the epidemiology programmeat at Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES) is to prepare candidates for a research position (e.g. a PhD project) in the area of clinical medicine or public health, or for example a more health policy oriented career. The programme comprises compulsory courses directed at study design, biostatistics, and data analysis. In addition, further specialization in specific areas of epidemiological research is needed. Extensive training in widely used statistical packages is also an important part of the curriculum. A large part of the programme is devoted to research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourse structure:
- First year: mainly methodological, statistical and programme specific courses and start research project;
- Second year: individual research project and advanced courses, electives and seminars.
- Research: Your individual research project will be supervised by leading professors and senior researchers, with the objective of delivering a high quality scientific research paper.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Sciences View 97 other Masters in Health Sciences in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You should fit the following criteria:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or a relevant Master’s degree from a discipline in or related to clinical medicine or public health (medical doctor, health sciences, nutrition, biology, pharmacy, environmental sciences, social sciences, economics, psychology, etc.).
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19400 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA19400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19400 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Rotterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.