The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages programme offered by University at Albany satisfies the NYS Requirements for English as a New Language Programs under Part 154. (See “Certified teacher trained in cultural competency, language development and the needs of ENL students”). The target audience for this advanced certificate will mainly be current content (7-12) and classroom (K-6) teachers.
The Advance Certificate in TESOL program targets in-service teachers who already hold a teaching certificate and would like to pursue an additional certificate in the area of TESOL. In line with the regulatory requirement of NYS for teacher education programs, the program will include 50 hours of field experiences and a practicum with students learning English as a second language and in both elementary and secondary schools totaling at least 20 days. Under the guidance and supervision of the field experience coordinator, students will identify and propose potential teacher mentors from the school district he/she is associated with or another local district.
The mentors proposed will be reviewed based on a set of criteria: being a highly effective TESOL teacher at an elementary/secondary school, with professional or permanent certification in NYS, and prior experience with mentoring. Our student teaching supervisor will work with the approved teacher mentor to guide each student through the field experience and teaching practicum.
- Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Approaches to English Grammar
- Introduction to Language in Education
- Teaching Methodology for English Language Learners
- Language, Literacy and Technology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Teaching View 43 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Must hold a valid NY State certificate in a classroom teaching title. Those with pending certification or certification from another state will not be admissible.
- Must hold a master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Official transcripts.
- 3 Letters of recommendation.
- Statement of goals.
- GPA: A 3.0 or better (out of a 4.0) quality grade point average.
- As required by NYS ED students accepted in the program should have at least 12 semester hours or the equivalent of study of a language other than English before they graduate from the program.
- Application fee: $75.00.
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11550 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11550 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5655 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!