Planning has a key role to play in improving the condition of life in our towns, cities and rural areas. Towns and cities themselves impact on global sustainability and can play a very influential role in tackling global environmental, social and economic problems.
Equally, implementing sustainability principles within urban and rural areas is essential for the well-being of the local residents and improvement of the local environment. Creating more sustainable towns and cities will be central to the future of society and the planet. The planning system is so important because it provides one of the most sophisticated mechanisms for regulating environmental change. Recent policy changes have made planning in neighbourhoods and in communities even more important.
Increasingly planners are being required to facilitate the creation of more sustainable urban environments. This requires expertise and skills in a diverse range of disciplines and nationally there is a shortage of relevant skills. This course offers both personal opportunities for students to gain valuable skills that make them highly employable, and allows them to contribute to a much needed and fast changing professional area.
Why choose this course?
This exciting new Sustainable Planning and Transport programme, offered by University of Hertfordshire, is specifically aimed at people wishing to gain expertise in contemporary sustainability issues. It provides graduates with excellent career opportunities in planning, environmental management, urban design, community development, regeneration, transport management, climate change mitigation and other planning related careers.The course is suitable for:
- Students who have work experience in planning or related discipline and require a postgraduate qualification and subsequent professional accreditation to develop their career further.
- New graduates starting their career in planning with a first degree in geography, environmental science, conservation, sociology, architecture and urban studies.
- Students from other disciplines who have developed an interest in planning from voluntary work, work experience or project work.
When you graduate from this course you will have excellent career opportunities in planning, environmental management, urban design and urbanism, community development and regeneration, transport management, climate change mitigation and adaptation and other planning related careers - all with a special focus on maximizing your sustainability expertise.
Prospective employers include: local government; private sector planning consultancies; specialist consultancies in environmental management, urban design, transport planning; public involvement bodies; national government agencies; third sector employers including charities with an urban and rural focus; and professional bodies.
- Spatial Planning: Theories and Strategies
- Sustainable Communities & Environment
- Place-making and Spatial Mediation
- Planning law, policy & practice
- Urban Design and Conservation
- Development Viability
- Sustainable Planning Dissertation
- Transport Policy & Travel Planning
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Transport Management Sustainable Energy View 60 other Masters in Transport Management in United Kingdom
- An honours degree with a minimum classification of second class (2.2) or higher in any subject.
International13950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13950 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9450 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK/EU Students: £780 per 15 credits
- International Students: £1160 per 15 credits
Living costs for Hatfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.