In your first year of study you will undertake modules which provide core knowledge about social work purpose, practice, and impact, human growth and development, and the policy and legislation which underpins practice. Additionally, you will learn the key methods, interventions, and skills for working with diverse communities and service users.
The second year of teaching builds on this to explore the research evidence and practice relating to a range of social work settings and collaborative and interprofessional working to assess and manage risks and vulnerability. The Social Work programme from University of Hertfordshire culminates in the writing of a dissertation on a topic area in which you are especially interested.
This academic learning is complemented by two placement blocks totalling 170 days in contrasting settings and 30 days of classroom-based skill development.
Why choose this course?
- Social work is a regulated profession. The MSc Social Work programme leads to eligibility to apply to the Social Work England Register and practice as a social worker in England;
- An emphasis on small group practice prepares you for practice in a modern multi-professional workforce;
- Interactive learning in and out of the classroom will help you to understand concepts fully;
- Academic teaching is supported by social work practitioners from the newly constituted Teaching Partnership with Hertfordshire County Council and the Tavistock and Portman Foundation Trust, service users, and carers enabling you to link theory to practice throughout the programme.
- A distinct feature of the programme is an emphasis on the development of knowledge and skills through reflective practice.
Social workers practice in a wide variety of settings with a range of service user groups and settings from adoption to end of life care and from hospitals to prisons. A former a British Prime Minister was even a social worker and social work lecturer. Depending on your interest your future career could involve work with:
- Children and their families, either to avoid family breakdown or where there is a risk of abuse of neglect;
- Children with disabilities;
- Young offenders
- Foster carers;
- Adults with physical or mental health problems;
- Older people;
Our programme will equip you with skills to practice with children and adults throughout their lives and in the full range of statutory and voluntary agencies which employ social workers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Skills for Practice
- Ethics, Values & Anti-Discriminatory Practice
- Law and Policy for Practice
- Human Growth and Development
- Practice Learning
- Practice Contexts
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 539 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
The normal entry requirements for the programme are:
- A good relevant first degree normally at 2:1 or above
- Relevant paid, voluntary or life experience
- Occupational Health and DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) clearance
- International students are required to demonstrate an English Language capability with an overall average of IELTS 7, with no less than 7 in any band
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14750 GBP per year during 24 months.
National9750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9750 GBP per year during 24 months.
- UK: £810 per 15 credits
- International: £1230 per 15 credits
Living costs for Hatfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.