There are concentrations available in geology and geography, and requirements are flexible enough to allow students to customize the curriculum.
- There are about 40 professional geoscientists in residence on campus, and graduate students normally participate in the ongoing research of these professionals. Teaching and research assistantships are available to graduate students in many of these areas.
- Minimum Requirements for Geoscience Degrees at the University of Alaska Fairbanks: M.S.: 30 credits; Ph.D.: 18 thesis credits
- Geosciences is the study the Earth and its people through geography, geology and geophysics. This includes a broad range of subjects like volcanism, plate tectonics, glaciology, remote sensing and mineralogy.
- Geography can focus on physical science or it can investigate the patterns and processes that shape human society like religion or economics. Geoscience jobs are plentiful, salaries are competitive, and the demand for young and enthusiastic geoscientists is expected to grow.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
- Applicants should apply to a graduate degree program at least six to nine months before the beginning of the semester in which they plan to enroll.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geography View 299 other Masters in Geography in United States
- Apply online. Applications must be received before the published deadlines, along with a $75 nonrefundable application fee. Applications submitted after the published deadlines are only accepted upon a department's request and have a $100 nonrefundable application fee.
- Review your department’s department-specific requirements and application deadlines.
- Submit certified official university transcripts and English translations.
- Submit official GRE or GMAT test scores. Not all departments require GRE or GMAT scores if the student has earned a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Submit a resume/curriculum vitae.
- Submit a statement of academic goals.
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- Submit official TOEFL or IELTS test results.
- Submit a copy of the passport identification page.
- Complete UAF’s financial statement form and provide supporting documentation showing adequate funding to cover all expenses at UAF.1
International21762 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21762 USD per year during 12 months.
National21762 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21762 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11160 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11160 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairbanks
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.