Contemporary film studies is a diverse, interdisciplinary field that incorporates a variety of approaches to the analysis of film and film culture. Our Film Studies MA at King's College London builds on the research strengths of our distinguished staff to offer modules that examine a wide range of cinema styles and approaches to studying film.
We have designed this course for students who want to deepen their knowledge of the world’s cinemas and explore the very latest approaches to studying them.
- Internationally renowned staff
- Focus on cutting-edge ideas and developments in film studies and audio-visual media culture
- Ranges across European, North American and Asian cinema, from popular to avant garde
- Located in the heart of London
- Film & Philosophy pathway available
Many of our students transfer the skills and knowledge they develop with us into careers in the media, the arts, education, and journalism. Many also go on to pursue research in film and visual culture at the MPhil/PhD level, often at top-tier universities in the US, UK, and elsewhere.
- Formations of Film Studies: An Advanced Introduction to the Field
- Cinema & Sentiment
- Thinking Cinema
- Reconfiguring Film and Media Philosophies: A Cross-cultural Perspective
- Media Aesthetics
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 374 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at King's College London and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- 2:1 undergraduate honours degree in film studies or a subject in which film or media plays a significant part (candidates from other disciplines may be considered)
- A personal statement of up to 4,000 characters (maximum 2 pages) is required.
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing the subjects studied and marks obtained.
- One academic reference is required. A professional reference will be accepted if you have completed your qualifications over five years ago. In some cases, we may request an additional reference from you.
- You must also provide a piece of written work of at least 4,000 words on a relevant topic.
- Applicants may wish to include a CV (Resume) or evidence of professional registration as part of their application.
International24660 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24660 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11040 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11040 GBP per year during 12 months.
- National: £5,520 per year
- International: £12,330 per year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.