The MSc degree in International Relations (Political Psychology) at University of Birmingham examines processes at the individual, group, mass, and state levels, and engages with theoretical and empirical analyses. It uses timely issues and puzzles in international politics and highlights the role of political psychology in explaining, describing, and predicting their origins and outcomes.
You will gain a multidisciplinary understanding of the psychological underpinning of International Relations, alongside structured training in Research Methods.
Topics and issues examined include:
- Emotions in crises and conflicts
- The psychology of radicalization, terrorism, and political violence
- Identities of religion, gender, and nationalism
- Trust and empathy in International Relations
- Interpersonal dynamics in face-to-face diplomacy
Our MSc students pursue exciting and stimulating career opportunities with a range of organisations including government agencies, international organisations, the armed forces, NGOs, think-tanks, the media, the political world, and multinational corporations. Our excellent academic training is complemented by networking opportunities and voluntary work placements.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Political Psychology of Conflict and Cooperation
- Fear, Cooperation and Trust in World Politics
- Fundamentals in Quantitative Research Methods
- Foundations in Qualitative Research
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesInternational Relations Psychology Political Science View 398 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
- A good honours degree (UK 2:1, GPA 3.00) is required for admission to taught Masters programmes
- The application form must be supported by two letters of reference, and non-native English overseas students should also submit a statement of English language competence
- Entry at Graduate Diploma level is possible for those with a reasonable first degree.
- Graduate Diploma students can upgrade to the Msc on satisfactory examination performance
International19170 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19170 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- MA PT fees: UK/EU - £4,625
- The Postgraduate Student Loan has increased its maximum loan amount to £10,609
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.